I heard people complain about this a lot and I wanna tell you the variables that allowed Rey to beat Kylo Ren in Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens.
- Kylo Ren is a pussy. He’s a Sith wannabe. Sure, he’s been trained with a lightsaber by Luke Skywalker, but his anger clouds his judgment, he’s just so filled with anger that he can’t fight well.
- Rey was already skilled with a staff so she has some skill in fighting with a staffed weapon.
- Kylo Ren was injured badly when Chewbacca shot him, so that affected his fighting too.
- If you watch the movie, Rey is mostly avoiding him before she finally defeats him.
- This is a big one and it’s more like a “got lucky” thing. Obi-Wan in Star Wars (Episode IV) “A Jedi can fill the Force flowing through him” When Kylo Ren mentions the Force, Rey closes her eyes before she finally gets the strength to defeat him. Because she finally felt the Force flow through her, she embraced it, and that allowed her to defeat him. Basically, for that brief moment, the Force was on her side. But again, just for that moment, she got lucky.
So there, those are the five variables that allowed Rey to defeat Kylo Ren. Don’t like it? Still wanna be a stickler? Well, that’s how I see it and I’m sticking to it.